Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Flotsam

When I was a boy
I built the loveliest
ship--
majestic masted,
rigged with
the finest sails
and
as ornately carved
as any Spanish galleon.

I conscripted
my dreams
to crew
this hopeful boat
And we brave
and mighty adventurers,
We set off
to see the world--
To gather wisdom
and seek fortune
beyond our
wildest
imaginations.

Yet despite all of
my most careful
preparations
and provisioning,
my planning and
course-charting--
All too soon after
weighing anchor,
the enterprise
was
doomed to
ill-fate.

The oceans would be
tempest tossed
and the seas unkind;
The ports-of-call,
cut-throat dens of iniquity
and vice--
I learnt to fight
and I fought to learn;
And for a while,
My band of faithful privateers and
I, we survived
and eked out
Such a living as we could.

But discontent
settled in amongst the
crew
Until
one-by-one
they left my service
Or in madness
jumped ship
to drown
in the sorrowful
depths.

With my last remaining
compatriots
I struggled to
pilot our now battered
unbeautiful
barque
through
storm
and maelstrom
and wicked wave

Until the once proud vessel
was finally
conquered
by the relentless
violence of the sea--
The last of my stalwart crew
consigned to
the fathomless
depths
And I
cast a-drift
upon the wreckage

And so here I am
left to float
as nothing more than
a piece of
wretched flotsam
upon
and the unforgiving
tides of life...

____________

11/16/16



No comments:

Post a Comment